Spiritual Pre & Postnatal Yoga Teacher Training
Empowering Pregnancy, Birth and Motherhood
Online and In-Person
An invitation to support women in the Yoga of the Feminine as Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga. This body of work cherishes:
Respect and Honour of Women and the Feminine: An openly Feminist Agenda
Earth-bound spirituality and connection to nature
Connection to Embodied Wisdom, Our Intuitive Voice and Ancestral Wisdom
Re-claiming (non religious) Ritual to nourish and support
Post Lineage Yoga; beyond the Patriarchal models
Reclaiming Women’s bodies and voices including the sexuality of birth and the landscape of birth for BIPOC women
Nourishing, nurturing and compassionate teaching and practices
Building sisterhood and your leadership within sisterhood circles
This course disregards the disempowering and outdated model of ‘modifying’ yoga practices for women in the most powerful and profound time of a woman’s life. Instead she:
Understand that mothering (in pregnancy, birth and postnatally) IS the yoga practice
Gives you the foundation and platform to transition to teaching prenatal yoga and the ‘bhava’ or feeling of a pregnancy class.
Shares the practices of asana, pranayama, mudra, chanting, deep relaxation in a woman-centered way
Shares the anatomy and physiology of pregnancy and birth so as to understand your role as yoga teacher in creating a safe container to support women through immense change and rites of passage
Creates a foundation of understanding for the community of support for pregnant women from doula work and birthkeeping to nutrition
FULL 50hr COURSE CONTENT
An investment of 400USD gives you our full 50 hour self study package:
- Full lifelong access to 50 hours of quality pre recorded video material, filmed in high standard professional quality in beautiful Bali.
- Accompanying high quality detailed written notes for all sections of the course
- 10 demonstration Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga video classes with Jo with teaching notes
- Detailed asana focus videos with explanations including sun salutations for pregnancy, restorative yoga for pregnancy, standing & seated poses, transitions for pregnancy
- Detailed Pranayama for Mothers videos with techniques and breakdown
- Clear understanding of the needs of women in each trimester of pregnancy and applications for Yoga Classes explained by Jo
- Practical Anatomy and Physiology for Pregnancy and Postnatal Yoga with qualified and experienced midwife
- Learn Chanting through our Bhakti Yoga Focus with our Specialist Bhakti Yogini
- Learn Ritual for Women with Specialist Alex Alonso including Blessingway and Closing the Bones
- Understand the work of a doula to support women with Sydne Fouche
- Nutrition for Pregnancy and Postnatal Period with Specialist Glenda Hammersly
All offered for 400USD
Spiritual Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training – 85hr YOGA ALLIANCE ACCREDITATION & 1:1 Mentorship
For a FURTHER INVESTMENT OF 600USD you will complete 35 hours to certify.
- You will be guided through an additional 10 hour self study module with exceptional reading list and specific tasks
- Be welcomed to an online community with a 10 week programme of scheduled online calls for each of the 10 Modules. Calls will be 1.5hrs of duration
- Get to choose a start date for the online group, 4 per year
- You will be held and honoured in ceremony for your chosen birth story (your own story as a baby or your baby)
- You will be guided to plan, teach and record your own prenatal classes
- You will share your Prenatal Teaching journey with the group as you begin your guided teaching practice
- You will teach and record 2 full Prenatal Yoga Classes for detailed online support and feedback from Jo.
- You will join an online ritual and closing graduation ceremony
- You will have completed sufficient hours to be certified as an 85hr Prenatal Yoga Teacher with Return to the Self (Registered Prenatal School)
- You will receive the certification to become a registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance USA (open to 200 hour graduates after 30 hours of teaching according to YA global rules)
A TOTAL INVESTMENT OF 1,000USD for full online training and accreditation
- As an option , you will also qualify to do the teaching assessment in person during any face to face teacher training held by Jo (the next in Abu Dhabi UAE in 2020, 2021 to include Bali and Dubai).
UPCOMING IN-PERSON FACE TO FACE COURSES
All in person courses include full access to the 40 hours of online video resources to assist your study
DUBAI 2020, UAE
As 2020 progresses this will be updated
Nilaya House, Al Quoz, Dubai, nilayahouse.com
5,000AED (3,000AED deposit)
ABU DHABI 2020, UAE
18th-26th November 2020
The Studio, Villa 42, Corniche Road, Abu Dhabi
5800AED before 1st October 2020
6300AED after 1st October 2020
The essence of the Spiritual Pregnancy YTT
This is a deeply Spiritual Pre and Postnatal Yoga Teacher Training for Yoginis, Birthworkers and those who hold space for women. It is for those whose purpose is supporting women in an intuitive earth energy pregnancy, an empowered birth and conscious motherhood.
This course is both spiritual and practical, nurturing and informative. We will focus on teaching the yoga skills to empower women to experience a healthy and conscious pregnancy and birth and enter motherhood fear free.
Pregnancy is a naturally arising opportunity to connect to earth and spirit and Intuitive Wisdom and our course reflects that. It also has a strong focus on Empowered and Ecstatic Birth which is every woman’s birthright. Our course includes the sacred goddess energies of the tantric Maha Vidyas and integrates a deep reverence of the divine feminine.
What is covered on the course?
Our yoga techniques and practices from asana, pranayama, chanting, deep relaxation, tantra and sacred ceremony are integrated and supported by our sessions on anatomy and physiology led by our qualified locally based midwives who are always aligned with our approach. Our courses are fun, interactive, discursive (your experience is highly valued), practical and authentic.
Spiritual Pregnancy is taught be lead trainer Jo Arganaraz who has over 60 course graduates worldwide. Her approach is feminine, caring, humble, practical and spiritual. Jo is based in Bali, Ubud and has 2 young children.
Spiritual Pregnancy has met the high standards set by Yoga Alliance USA (the global version of Yoga Alliance) and is registered as a 85 hour programme.
Click on the Module dropdown menus for a detailed look at the course structure
Our syllabus empowers you to:
Build on your existing yoga teaching knowledge (asana, pranayama, mudra and chanting) to deliver safe and nourishing group prenatal classes for all trimesters of pregnancy including the postnatal period with a practical understanding of the physiology of pregnancy
Practice teaching with feedback from tutors to deliver safe and effective group prenatal classes for all trimesters of pregnancy
Develop clarity on dealing with pregnant students who attend general/regular classes including knowing who should/shouldn’t join and asana and transitions to offer. Awareness of where to refer to a medical practitioner
Ensure your classes are informative, uplifting, supportive, empowering and non judgmental including delivering effective feeling cues
Refine the language you use as a teacher, including feminine, yin-field cueing.
Develop your ability to theme a class including content, language cues and bhava (mood) of the class
Adapt a pregnancy class for mothers-to-be with prenatal ailments such as muscular lower back pain, swollen joints, pelvic girdle pain, low blood pressure and fatigue
Lean practical ways yoga can help birth and offer yoga techniques for 1:1 clients, partner birth workshops etc.
Enquire into how birth can be orgasmic and pleasurable. Enquire into the impact of the pain paradigm, the medicalization of birth and the effect of very high caesarian section rates on the future of humanity
Understand and honour pregnancy as part of the cyclical wisdom of a women’s life. Gain an overview of the siddhis (magic powers) of womanhood and the spiritual gifts of pregnancy, birth and lactation/postnatal period
Connect to the wisdom of practices that honour the female body and the divine feminine in the landscape of contemporary yoga (including power and sexual abuses) including understanding the place of women and female masters in the history of yoga
Understand how Yoga can be a tool for navigating Pregnancy Loss and placing such experiences as part of the sacred feminine and our journey as woman
Connect to the goddess energies of pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period including study of the energies of Maha Vidya Bhuvaneshwari, Chinnamasta and Tara (in a non religious context)
Develop skills for holding a circle of women in sisterhood and how to foster and build trust relationships and community.
Develop insight and practical methodology to support women’s ritual to mark the sacred transitions from maiden to mother in Blessingway and to close a life chapter after birth or loss (Closing The Bones Ceremony).
1. MODULE 1: COURSE INTRODUCTION
- Join the Course Blessing with Balinese Priestess Luh Manis – honouring mother earth, abundance and the cycles of life
- Learn and practice the Shanti Pat Mantra for Protection, Nourishment and to create Good Energy
- Prenatal Yoga Class Example 1: Surrender and Let Go
- Prenatal Yoga Class Example 2: Nourishment and Nurture: The Energy of Bhuvaneshwari
- Course Overview: Empowering Pregnancy, Birth and Motherhood through Yoga
- Placing Pregnancy in a Body of Cyclical Wisdom (Our cyclical nature as women and her life stages)
- Sisterhood and Space Holding in Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga Classes
2. ASANA FOR PREGNANCY: THE FOUNDATION
- The history of women in yoga and the implications for Post-Lineage Yoga and Prenatal Yoga
- Yoga Asana for Pregnancy and what nourishes the pregnant woman and her baby (including beginners to yoga and advanced practitioners)
- Asana Demo: Gentle Sun Salutations for all stages of Pregnancy
- Asana Demo: Anjanyasana Sun Salutation – a more dynamic sun salute for pregnancy
- Asana Demo: Ashtanga Vinaysa A – Sun Salutation for Pregnancy
- Asana Demo: Ashtanga Vinaysa B – Sun Salutation for Pregnancy
- Asana Demo: Chandra Namaskar: Moon Salutation for Pregnancy
3. THE ENERGY BODY AND PREGNANCY: THE FOUNDATION
- Pranayama for Pregnancy: Practicing for the landscape of the pregnant woman’s energy body and her baby
- The energy anatomy of motherhood from preconception to birth (with special guest to be revealed!)
- Pranayama Demo 1: Breath of Life/Full Yogic Breath for Pregnancy
- Pranayama Demo 2: Nadi Shodana for Pregnancy
- Pranayama Demo 3: Ujjayi Breath for Pregnancy
4. THE BREASTS AND THE SACRED PELVIS: YOGA FOR WOMEN
- A breast and womb re-orientation for yoga
- Breast Connection for Pregnancy
- The sacred anatomy and physiology of the pelvis: foundations of understanding
- Mapping the Pelvis: Experiential Learning with our qualified midwife
- Introduction to internal yoga (the yoga of the pelvic floor)
- Magic of the womb – the yoga of conception
5. THE FIRST TRIMESTER
- Class Example: Prenatal Yoga for the first trimester: inviting new life
- Class Example: Yoga for Women after first trimester Pregnancy loss
- First Trimester Anatomy and Physiology
- Pregnancy Physiology Foundations: Understanding the big picture
(The interweave between the physiology of pregnancy and birthing and the practice of teaching yoga)
- Nutrition for the First Trimester of Pregnancy with specialist
- First trimester Yoga Practices Overview
- Asana Demonstration: Restorative Poses
- Bhakti Yoga and Pregnancy: An introduction to the yoga of devotion
- Chanting: Jai Ma
- Chanting: Om
- Language for Prenatal Yoga Classes: The yoga of language and feeling
6. THE SECOND TRIMESTER
- Example Class: Balance
- Example Class: Strength
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Second Trimester
- Second Trimester Yoga Practices Overview
- Asana Demo: Standing Poses
- Asana Demo: Seated Poses
- Asana Demo: Vinyasa and Asana Transitions for Pregnant Women
- Chanting: Gayatri Mantra
- Pranayama Demo: Bija Mantras/Baby Sound Bath
- Second Trimester Nutrition with Glenda
7. YOGA FOR PREGNANCY AILMENTS
- Anatomy and Physiology for Pregnancy Ailments and Complications and the boundaries of the role of the Yoga Teacher
- Asana and Practices Demo: Yoga for Back Discomfort in Pregnancy
- Asana and Practices Demo: Yoga for Oedema (swelling)
- Asana and Practices Demo:Yoga for Heartburn
- Asana and Practices Demo:Yoga for Pelvic Girdle Pain
8. THE THIRD TRIMESTER
- CLASS EXAMPLE: Moving beyond fear
- Anatomy and Physiology for the Third Trimester
- Third Trimester Yoga Practices including Apana and the Yoga of the Transition to Birth
- Pranayama Demo: Golden Thread Breath
- Pranayama Demo: Golden Thread and Ujjayi Breath
- Pranayama Demo: Brahmari (Bumblebee Breath)
- Blessingway Ceremonies: Ritual for Pregnant Women: A conversation with specialist Alex and Jo
- An example Blessingway ceremony (late 2020)
- Chanting: Mangala Mantra for all beings
- Third Trimester Nutrition with Specialist
9. THE YOGA OF BIRTHING
- CLASS EXAMPLE: Example Yoga for Birth Workshop
- Chanting: The Green Tara Mantra of Protection and Compassion
- Foundations of Empowered Birth with Midwife
- The Yoga of Birth, Active Birth, Positions and Birthing Breath
- Birth and Sexuality, Orgasmic Birth and Free Birth – A talk with an expert (late 2020)
- Doula work and Yoga with specialist Doula
- An introduction to Bumi Sehat Birthing Centres (late 2020) – our Karma Yoga cause
10. POSTNATAL YOGA: The 4TH TRIMESTER
- EXAMPLE CLASS: Honouring the Postnatal Body
- EXAMPLE CLASS: The energy of CHINNAMASTA and POSTNATAL YOGA
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Postnatal perio
- The differences between Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga Classes
- Respecting and Honouring the woman’s body in a postnatal yoga class with Midwife
- PRANAYAMA: Healing Breath
- BREASTFEEDING MEDITATION
- Working with women and the pelvic floor in the postnatal period
- Diastisis Recti and the Postnatal Body
- Chanting: To all beings
- Closing The Bones Ceremonies
- A pre recording of an example Closing the Bones Ceremony
11. CERTIFICATION: TEACHING PRACTICE AND HOMEWORK TASKS
- Suggested Format of a Prenatal Yoga Class
- Reading List and Tasks: Guidance
- Teaching Practice 1: Teaching A Sun Salutation
- Teaching Practice 2: Setting up and teaching the 6 restorative poses
- Teaching Practice 3: Teaching a half an hour Class
- Teaching Practice 4: Teaching a one hour Prenatal Yoga Class
- Marketing for Prenatal Yoga Teachers
Why study prenatal and postnatal yoga?
Learning to teach prenatal yoga enables you to specialize and create diversity in your own teaching. Prenatal yoga is soulful, beautiful and a community based teaching which is incredibly powerful to teach. Becoming a prenatal teacher and supporting women is a nurturing and abundant journey. Many graduates describe their prenatal classes as ‘their favourite’ amongst their classes for a good reason.
Prenatal Yoga Teacher training is also a healing journey for many women. This healing can take the form or ‘recovery’ from a traditional approach to yoga which disrespects women’s body, assimilating and honouring your own challenging pregnancy and birth experience or pathing the way for your future family. It can also spark the light of awareness for the need to offer feminine energy practices for other stages of a woman’s life cycle and a love of this work.
And of course, as regular yoga teacher, it is much safer to have specialist knowledge of prenatal and postnatal yoga in order to better serve clients who attend regular yoga classes.
Do I have to be a yoga teacher to join this course?
The basic on-line training (priced at 400USD) is open to anybody (man or woman) with a solid interest in this work.
For accreditation, it is important to come to the course with pre-existing yoga training (the yoga alliance advise a 200 hour foundation) or a strong background in yoga. However, for some professionals working in the field of midwifery, birth education, doula support, health professionals supporting women etc. or with those an established practice and understanding of yoga there is flexibility. Some of our graduates who have a background in yoga have started with the Prenatal YTT (when they were pregnant for example) and then gone on to take a 200 hour course at a later stage.